About Brighton Grove Allotments
Brighton Grove Allotments are located in Rusholme, Manchester. The allotments are close to the Birch Community Centre and at the rear of St James’ CofE Primary School. The site has been here since at least the 1930s but we are not sure exactly when the site opened.
The site is owned by Manchester City Council to whom allotmenteers pay a rent. These are collected locally by a committee elected at the annual general meeting, who also manage the site. A list of current committee members and the association’s constitution can be found on this website.
There are many benefits to having an allotment:
- cheap source of fresh fruit and vegetables, and therefore a healthy diet
- less contact with pesticides etc if you grow organically
- opportunity to spend time outside enjoying nature
- sense of achievement and well-being
- chance to learn
- reduction in stress
- chance to escape the pressures of modern living
- helps community spirit and offers an opportunity to meet people from all walks of life
- environment benefits by providing green spaces and wildlife habitats
- a good form of exercise
- a chance for children to learn where food comes from.
Please contact a committee member if you would like to discuss any aspect of the allotments. To add your name to the waiting list use the menu at the top the page.
Members may use the reply form below to tell the committe of any matters that they feel need attention.